Tuesday, May 17, 2011

going home

I wrote this for NaPoWriMo 2009, and would like to post this for Poetry Potluck Week 35 at Jingle Poetry.

The theme was "Fortresses, Castles, Palaces, and Royal Houses". Couldn't come up with something about the theme, but I guess the heart is a fortress too.

The drawing is the cover of a card, done in color markers, by my daughter when she was about six years of age. It is a bit yellowed now, but I am still keeping it. And, yeah, there seems to be a castle in the picture. :)




drawing by YunPing



going home


In the train going home, my daughter fell asleep in my lap. Minutes earlier, she was colouring pictures in a book, her face determined, intense. I did not know that Mickey Mouse had a red face, but that's how a six year old girl pictured it. The crayon was still in her hand, and I gently removed it, packed it back in the box of colours and kept it in her bag with the book and bottles. Even in the cool air, her face was warm, and I wiped perspiration off it. Holding her, I settled down in the seat for the journey home.

And that was when I saw the lady in the opposite seat smiled at us.


30/04/09
********




© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ), 2011

5 comments:

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

it seems like your daughter had dreamed of red faced Mickey Mouse.


magical capture of a precious moment.
Thanks for sharing.

K. Shawn Edgar said...

Cute and heartfelt. Keep at it.

dsnake1 said...

hi Jingle,

thank you! sometimes us adults have no idea how the mind of a child works. :)


hi kshawnedgar,

thanks for the encouragement! :)

Anonymous said...

It is lovely. Never throw away those drawings! :)

dsnake1 said...

hi inaweblogisback,

they are still with me. :)